Saturday, 18 July 2015

HOMEMADE BABY SHOWER HAMPER





From being really young my mum always did lots of crafts with me and taught me lots of different things i could make and design and I really enjoyed it. I loved making things from scratch and coming up with ideas and finding artsy ways to try and pull it off and so when i have the time i still try and be creative with these skills. So now, every so often ill make a hamper for a friends birthday or special occasion and I decided when better to make a hamper than at a baby shower so when i got invited to my friends baby shower i decided to get creative! And even better, I promise that this doesn't have to be expensive! 

homemade, baby shower, hamper, hand made, basket, cellophane, gift, teddy bear, blanker, bibs, lights, candle, body shower cream, soap,

  • First i start with deciding and finding the kind of box or basket I'll use to put all the presents in. (You can use anything from old shoe boxes covered in wrapping paper to gift boxes or even, like I have chosen here, a basket that looks super cute and can be used again in the recipients home.
  • Next I picked what kind of gifts you would like to give and what would be appropriate for the occasion. For the baby shower i obviously wanted some cute baby bits (because who can resist buying baby stuff?!) but i didn't want too many because i know they normally get overloaded with stuff that they cant use for long once the baby starts growing so i decided to buy some bits for the parents as well.  

homemade, baby shower, hamper, hand made, personalised, basket, cellophane, gift, teddy bear, blanker, bibs, lights, candle, body shower cream, soap,


In this hamper I've included all the bits listed below:

- Baby blanket 
- Disposable bibs
- Pack of 3 baby grows
- I <3 Mummy & I <3 Daddy little booties
- A super soft neck bib (so it doesn't hurt the babies skin)
- Johnson's bar of soap
- A candle
- A Crystal jar that i filled with balls of wool
- A set of shower gel and bubble bath
- A teddy bear 
- And some rose battery lights that she can then hang in the nursery 



homemade, baby shower, hamper, hand made, personalised, basket, cellophane, gift, teddy bear, blanker, bibs, lights, candle, body shower cream, soap,


  • I then arranged everything in the basket to make it look pretty and i decorated the basket with a little card making sticker saying 'New Baby' (this part is of course not necessary).
  • I finished it off by wrapping cellophane around the basket, i fold the sides in like wrapping a present and  and stick a couple of pieces of cellotape where necessary to stick any messy bits down (try not to use to many pieces as it will start to look messy). I also leave plenty of extra cellophane at the top so that i can tie it up and still have extra left at the top to spread out so it looks more professional.
  • Next I tied the top up with something that will hold it tight (you might need help with this so that someone can hold it for you as you tie the ribbon). I originally tied the cellophane with thin decorative curling ribbon because it stays tight once tied in a double knot.
  • I cut the ends of this ribbon short so I could hide it under a fabric ribbon that looked more appropriate for this kind of gift and then used a double sided sticky tape to stick a bow on the front of the ribbon.
  • Finally I added a little gift tag. You can use any kind of gift tag you find suits the present best. I used a brown parcel label (you can but a pack of them from the post office or craft/stationary stores), I tied some thin rope through the hole and attached it to the ribbon I used to tie the cellophane (sorry I haven't got it in view in these pictures). I also used some more new baby card making stickers that match the one on the front of the basket and decorated the front of the tag.

homemade, baby shower, hamper, hand made, personalised, basket, cellophane, gift, teddy bear, blanker, bibs, lights, candle, body shower cream, soap,


Tips and Tricks: 
  • Make sure the cellophane at the back and the front is an even length so it looks neat at the top after its tied.
  • Plan the amount of things you are buying before buying the basket or box to make sure all the presents fit in properly.
  • Start with the biggest presents at the back and work to the smallest at the front in general so that you can see all the presents more clearly.
  • For the gift tag you can cut out a picture you like from an old card and just bend it and stick it on with cellotape or pierce a hole in it and thread some ribbon through it. I have done this many a times with presents and it always makes the present look more personalised and my friends and family always love it. 
  • Always buy a role of cellophane that you know will be wide enough for the size of the hampers you are planning on making. If there are none wide enough then you would have to wrap a length round sideways as well as round the front and back. This will work fine but may not look as neat.
  • This hamper was one of the more expensive ones I've made but it is easy to make cheaper ones and i always find the best places to find stuff including cheaper gift boxes (or I've even used little buckets or small storage boxes maybe intended for bathrooms) is at places like Home Bargains, B&M or even some big pound stretcher's or poundland's.




I hope you find this post helpful as i absolutely thing they are brilliant ideas for presents and everyone always appreciates them so much more! If you are planning on making one and need any more information, help with ideas, or you are even stuck with some of the steps then please don't hesitate to get in touch and I will be happy to help you out!


No comments:

Post a Comment